Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Warmth of Love

This morning I awoke with a start as a strange foreboding made my spirit shiver. Something cold was going to happen, but I did not know what it might be. I opened my eyes and was comforted to see that Cat-Dad was still sleeping beside me. Deeply I pressed back under his chin, which has become my permanent sleeping spot at night. He would keep me warm. It was his promise that Christmas eve of 2006 when a rescuer brought me to him, almost dead from pneumonia, starvation and cold. As if an unconscious message had just been relayed, his arm moved to cover me and press me closer.

How well (and frightfully) do I remember being cold. It was always that way on the street, especially at night as a kitten all alone when I huddled against the wall of an alley instead of being at my mother's side. It was there I also learned about hunger. As I now lay warmly wrapped in Cat-Dad's arms with the knowledge that breakfast would soon be provided, I thought about those first months of my life on the streets. How different it is now. Cold, hunger, and loneliness are things of my past and I am so thankful for my life. I have important work to do in feline and human rescue. Surely, no cat could be happier than me!

Cat-Dad has told me that humans who have other humans who deeply care for them live longer and happier lives. I believe that must also be true for cats who have someone to love them. The warmth of Cat-Dad radiates not only from his body, but from that inner love he has for me and all of us who come to this rescue/foster home. It is the source of his healing power of which every one of us has experienced.

Well, it turned out that my foreboding feeling was right. Today it snowed - hard - paralyzing the city and making travel extremely hazardous. The temperature fell far below normal for our area, but this time, I was on the inside of the window looking out. I never forget how easily fate could have arranged instead for me to be on the outside looking in. I thought of so many other cats who are still in that situation and rededicated myself to our commitment of bringing warmth and food to those in need.

The task of a working rescue cat is never done. But perhaps for just this little while, I will close my eyes and revel in the comfort that has been given to me through the warmth of my special person's love.


With love for all,

Noel
-----

No comments: