Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cast Your Bread

As our readers now know, when I first came to this home, I was isolated in Intensive Care for almost six months, and thus was not really aware of my surroundings. However, what you may not know was that, after my recovery, Cat-Dad did find me a home. But I was not happy there, mainly because I was so alone. And although my new Mistress was a wonderful person and really loved me a lot, she was gone for so much of the day that it was really a strain on us both. Eventually, she had to return me.

That is when I discovered the true extend of what happens in a feline rescue/foster home. So many broken bodies and broken spirits. My new friend Sasha explained that it was a constant struggle to support and encourage those who lived with us, and that she had been working for several years at Cat-Dad's side. She did whatever she could to help these unfortunate individuals, not only to heal their minds, but also to heal their spirits and help them learn how once again to trust. It did not take me long to realize that here was my true calling in life, and that somehow I needed to stay in this home.

And so, I became part of the team, working along side of Sasha to care for the other patients and residents. One of my responsibilities became to travel each weekend with our cats to the adoption event and help keep them calm. Having to be in a cage once again is a frightening experience for most, especially when there are dogs barking, people staring, and children making loud noises. It scared me, too, at first but I could not let that interfere with my task because others even more frightened were counting on me to help. Grooming, of course. is the cat way of doing this, and so that became my specialty.

Some may think this a chore, or imposition, but for me grooming is an expression of love. Love not only for another individual, but love of the life that pneumonia almost took from me; love of the morning that heralds a new day that I will spend with my human companion; and love for all those who come to us in pain and suffering. Having received so much since my rescue in 2006, returning it to others in this way seems only fair.

And everyone knows that love is the one thing that increases the more that we give it away.

With love for all,

Noel
-----
Give and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over... For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.
- Luke 6:38 (KJV)

No comments: